Smith Maple Crest Farm
The Stephen Gleason Tavern in Shrewsbury was part of the original center of town that included a post office, doctor, blacksmith’s shop and more. The tavern ceased operating in 1835 when the town went dry, and the Gleasons switched to farming including owning three cheese factories. Now known as the Smith Maple Crest Farm, today is produces grass-fed beef, maple syrup, and welcomes guests as a bed and breakfast.
This Place in History is produced in partnership by Local 22 & Local 44 (www.mychamplainvalley.com) and the Vermont Historical Society.